How can we best support North Van Arts in expanding the exposure of international tourists to the North Shore Culture Compass to further the growth and vibrancy of the cultural community on the north shore?
Term: Spring 2022
Course: TOUR 233
Instructor: Tania Loken
Staff contact: Harriet Goodwin, Nancy Cottingham Powell & Michelle Richard, North Van Arts
The North Shore Culture Compass is an ongoing project to compile a hub of cultural assets within the North Shore Region, including the City of North Vancouver, the District of North Vancouver, the District of West Vancouver, the Squamish Nation and the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. This tool is intended for residents, tourists, planners, and the cultural sector, to help build audiences, drive tourism, fill gaps, and encourage partnerships to better highlight our rich cultural diversity.
The Culture Compass is a free, dynamic, online culture map for residents, tourists, local organizations, planners, and developers to highlight the cultural opportunities in the region. This map highlights the creativity, culture, and history of the North Shore on an interactive, web-based tool.
Students will work in small groups to address the following research questions pertaining to the future success of the Culture Compass from North Van Arts:
- Pre-pandemic, which countries were tourists mainly visiting the North Shore from?
- Who is our target audience of tourists? Can you create a few personas to illustrate these types of people? Focus on key cultures from question #1 and barriers for participation.
- How can we best support North Van Arts in expanding the exposure of international tourists to the North Shore Culture Compass to further the growth and vibrancy of the cultural community on the North Shore?
- How do you think the Culture Compass and accompanying resources would be a useful tool for tourists?
- How might different cultures, demographics e.g. age groups etc have different experiences using the tool? This could be linked to where some of the international students are from as you suggested
- Explain the barriers tourists might experience when using the Culture Compass? How can we
remove these barriers? 7. Identify the top 3 marketing recommendations for reaching potential international travelers to the North Shore Culture Compass.