How might we improve immigrant inclusion in the community?
Term: Spring 2020
Course: SOC 340 (Migration and Displacement)
Instructor: Sean Ashley
Staff contact: Heather Evans (City of North Vancouver)
Community Partner: Olivia Bornik (North Shore Immigrant Inclusion Partnership)
The North Shore Immigrant Inclusion Partnership (NSIIP) is a coalition of 35+ community agencies and institutions focused on improving the settlement outcomes of new immigrants. Students will work in groups to conduct research and provide recommendations on one of the following questions, as posed by our partners:
- How can the City of North Vancouver learn from other municipalities to address immigrant inclusion in its upcoming Community Wellbeing Policy?
- How can the City of North Vancouver integrate immigrant and indigenous inclusion efforts in its upcoming Community Wellbeing Policy? What are some tangible ways that local organizations can connect Indigenous and immigrant communities to further conversations around inclusion?
- How can the City of North Vancouver and local organizations support the integration of multicultural seniors?
- What are the barriers to civic engagement and volunteerism among newcomers, and how can local organizations and the City of North Vancouver engage diverse communities in these activities?
- How can we measure immigrant inclusion in the community? How can we measure the impact of our efforts towards inclusion and tell the story of our work?